The Greek Yogurt Taste Off
August 7, 2014 84 Comments
Which of these Greek yogurts is your favorite? I decided to taste them all and try to determine which one is the best.
I stayed away from brands that you cannot find nationwide (and I am sure I will hear about that choice in the comment section).
I bought these yogurts because they didn’t have artificial sweetener (which I can’t stand) and they were all strawberry. Also, they are all non-fat because they are the easiest to find. I prefer 2% (because I think it tastes better) but I can never find it.
When I brought these six yogurts home, my children went bananas and asked to be taste testers (as did my husband).
My husband, 7 year old, and 10 year old tasted these without knowing the brands (blind). I was in charge – so I knew the brands. We did “clear our palates” after tasting each yogurt.
In order of worst to best:
6. Chobani $1.29 – 120 calories – This had a really strange aftertaste and a slightly chalky texture. My husband said it reminding him of snot (sorry Chobani lovers ☹)
5. Dannon Oikos $1.19 – 120 calories – This one tasted like cough medicine and had a good texture but not as thick as Greek yogurt should be.
4. FAGE fruyo $1.79 – 140 calories – Very chalky and had a strange flavor but it was thick (like a real Greek yogurt).
3. Stonyfield Organic Greek $1.99 – 120 calories – This one is pretty good. It has a good texture and is slightly chalky. The strawberry taste was a little strange.
1. Yoplait Greek $1.00 (on sale) – 140 calories – I couldn’t find strawberry so this was a blend of strawberry and raspberry. This had a very good flavor but isn’t very thick. It does have 11 grams of protein and the ingredient list is clean. This was my son’s favorite.
1. Newman’s Own Greek $1.49 – 120 calories – This was my favorite because it had a good strawberry flavor and nice texture – again – not as thick as you would like. The ingredient list was the cleanest of the bunch: Nonfat milk, strawberries, sugar, corn starch, natural flavor, pectin
I hate to say it but NONE of these could hold a candle to plain yogurt (or plain Greek yogurt) with some jam mixed in or FAGE (the regular one).
They all had a chemical aftertaste and my husband decided he hated them all. If you stop eating these types of processed yogurts (as he has) – you notice the strange flavors.
Which is your favorite? Please share your ideas on good yogurt.
Other posts you might like:
The Best Brand of Yogurt You Can Buy
The title here is purposely misleading. I am just trying to get you to pay attention....
Stop Buying Frozen Yogurt and Make Your Own
Snack Girl is so proud of herself. She made this beautiful bowl of strawberry frozen yogurt (and then ate it)....
Joey L Patterson
Louise M Donnelly
martha@ simple nourished living