Healthy General Tso’s Chicken Recipe
reprinted with permission from Slender Kitchen
Makes 4 servings
3 tbsp soy sauce (or coconut aminos for GF)
1 tbsp honey (or brown sugar)
2 tsp rice vinegar
1.5 tsp sesame oil
1.5 tsp Sriracha (adjust if needed, this is pretty spicy)
3 tsp cornstarch, divided
1/2 cup water
3 cups broccoli florets, cut into florets
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
2 tsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp. grated fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1. In a bowl mix together the soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, sesame oil, Sriracha, and half the cornstarch.
2. Heat a large skillet (with cover) over medium high heat. Add 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil. Add the broccoli and cover. Cook for 3-4 minutes until tender but still crispy. Remove, set aside, and wipe skillet dry.
3. While the broccoli cooks, toss the chicken with remaining cornstarch, salt, and pepper.
4. Heat the vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook in one layer until crispy on one side. Flip over and cook until crispy on the other side.
5. Add the ginger and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minute, stirring.
6. Add the sauce (from step 1) and cook for 2-3 minutes until it thickens up.
7. Stir in the broccoli. Serve immediately.
For 1 1/4 cups (one serving) = 219 calories, 6 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 13 g carbohydrates, 6 g sugar, 27 g protein, 2 g fiber, 769mg sodium, 3 Freestyle SmartPts
Points values are calculated by Snack Girl and are provided for information only. See all Snack Girl Recipes