Healthy General Tso’s Chicken & Healthy Meal Plans
August 17, 2021 11 Comments
Do you find yourself wondering what on earth you are going to make for dinner? I do!
I cook for a living and I am still stuck on what to make for dinner. Also, I am short on time so I detest having to make many trips to the grocery store during the week.
My lack of planning leads to take-out and grilled cheese sandwiches (which is fine some of the time). My entire family prefers that someone actually cooks - which my husband does 50% of the time.
My plans usually start with Slender Kitchen Meal Plans.
The meal plan concept is simple and powerful. Every week, Kristen, my friend, sends you a meal plan - you shop and cook the meals. The meals are healthy, easy, and have all the nutrition information including milligrams of sodium AND SmartPoints for those using Weight Watchers Freestyle.
You can sign up here: Slender Kitchen Meal Plans for either $8 per month or $48 for the year ($4 per month). Both subscriptions include a 14 day money back guarantee.
The recipe below - Healthy Kung Pao chicken is a great example of what is included in Kristen’s meal plans. It is tasty, easy to make, and will help you stop ordering take-out because it is accessible and delicous.
The meal plans include options:
- For healthy, low carb, or vegetarian eaters
- To customize number of servings you plan to cook
- To choose the meals you need to make for the week
You can go with breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks or you can do what I did and make 4 dinners with 6 servings each. My family of four typically takes a serving of dinner to lunch so I frequently cook more dinner than we eat for leftovers.
If you don’t like a meal that Kristen has included – you can choose another recipe or add your own. You can also create your own meal plan from the large library of recipes she has created.
What I love about Slender Kitchen Meal Plans is that I don’t have to think. I print out the shopping list (and it is organized so my trip to the store is shorter), and cook the recipes after work throughout the week. Done. The recipes are diverse and delicious so it gets me out of my cooking rut!
Using her plan has saved me money because I only buy what I need - and I use it all! No more rotting vegetables in the bottom of the bin.
You can sign up here - -Slender Kitchen Meal Plans for either $8 per month or $48 for the year ($4 per month). Both subscriptions include a 14 day money back guarantee.
Snack Girl has an affiliate relationship with SlenderKitchen.com and receives a percentage of sales.
Healthy General Tso’s Chicken Recipe
reprinted with permission from Slender Kitchen
Makes 4 servings
3 tbsp soy sauce (or coconut aminos for GF)
1 tbsp honey (or brown sugar)
2 tsp rice vinegar
1.5 tsp sesame oil
1.5 tsp Sriracha (adjust if needed, this is pretty spicy)
3 tsp cornstarch, divided
1/2 cup water
3 cups broccoli florets, cut into florets
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
2 tsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp. grated fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1. In a bowl mix together the soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, sesame oil, Sriracha, and half the cornstarch.
2. Heat a large skillet (with cover) over medium high heat. Add 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil. Add the broccoli and cover. Cook for 3-4 minutes until tender but still crispy. Remove, set aside, and wipe skillet dry.
3. While the broccoli cooks, toss the chicken with remaining cornstarch, salt, and pepper.
4. Heat the vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook in one layer until crispy on one side. Flip over and cook until crispy on the other side.
5. Add the ginger and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minute, stirring.
6. Add the sauce (from step 1) and cook for 2-3 minutes until it thickens up.
7. Stir in the broccoli. Serve immediately.
For 1 1/4 cups (one serving) = 219 calories, 6 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 13 g carbohydrates, 6 g sugar, 27 g protein, 2 g fiber, 769mg sodium, 4 Green, 3 Blue, 3 Purple WW SmartPts
Points values are calculated by Snack Girl and are provided for information only. See all Snack Girl Recipes