5 Ways To Stop Stress Eating
November 3, 2011 23 Comments
Snack Girl is stressed out. That is not me in the photo above, but I feel this woman's pain.
My power is out at my house and it has been out for FOUR days. How are you still getting all the Snack Girl content that you love? A new friend of mine has power and is letting me use his office. THANKS, BILL!
My kids are home from school, I am cooking outside on our grill in the snow, and we are using candlelight and flashlights at night. We have a wood stove that (mostly) heats our house.
And, I feel exhausted. So, what do you think I have been doing? Chocolate, mashed potatoes, red wine, more chocolate, cookies, sausages, pie..........burp.
This particular situation is quite stressful and I feel I deserve some treats. Hey, Halloween got cancelled out here - can you believe it??!
Now, I am going to give myself a little break here for not grabbing a salad, but I will have to slow down on the chow if I want to fit into my jeans.
I don't think the problem of "Eating While Stressed" is a big problem if it happens once in a while. But, if you do it every day the extra calories can create, well, stress!
If you can tune into your body and realize that you are eating to SOOTHE yourself instead of feeding real hunger, you could lose a ton of weight without a real diet.
So, how do you soothe yourself if food is your favorite source of pleasure?
1. Close your eyes and think of something that gives you pleasure........What was it? For me, it is the sound of my children's laughter (I know that sounds corny).
I decided that I am going to make a recording on my iPod and play it when I am hungry for the wrong reasons.
Use the pleasure thing (that can be public) instead of food. Be creative!
2. Remove the foods that you eat for self-soothing from EASY reach. Leave those foods at the supermarket (you know which ones I am talking about).
When you reach for them and they are not there - you will become aware of the reason for your desire to munch. Perhaps you can solve the stress in a different way?
3. Change your life so you are less stressed. HA! That was so easy to write in a sentence, but so hard to do. Take it little step by little step. For example, listening to the news is stressful so do less of it.
4. Go give someone a hug. This is a touchy feeling answer and perhaps not possible - but to me there is nothing more soothing than a hug.
If there is no one around who is worthy of hug then close your eyes and imagine a hug from someone that deeply cares about you.
5. Read the book below: "50 Ways To Soothe Yourself Without Food" by Susan Albers. Keep this book in your kitchen and grab IT before you grab something else. There are a bunch of creative soothing ideas in this book.
How do you deal with "stress eating"?
50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food
$22.97 Buy on Amazon.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Other posts you might like:
Reclaim Your Sex Life
Why is this woman feeling so relaxed and looking so gorgeous? The secret, my friends, is simple....
How Annabel Lost 150 Pounds
Today, Annabel from Feed Me I'm Cranky is posting about her weight loss process....
First 20 Comments: ( See all 23 )
See all 23 Comments