Thanksgiving Survival Tips
November 24, 2015 6 Comments
I hope that all of you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends.
This list is for those of us who go into Thanksgiving blindly without considering all the things that can go wrong. I am a worrier by nature so I thought I would put together a few of my tips for dealing with Thanksgiving mishaps and issues (such as eating so much food that you have to lay down for a few hours).
Please add any of your own tips in the comment section.
- Do not throw your food. I don’t care if Uncle Charlie is making you angry with his bizarre political views - keep it together.
- No snacking. The main event is enough to fill you for days.
- Take a walk. If you don’t have a good trail or sidewalk to walk on then do a short exercise video. This will help you decompress before the red wine starts to pour.
- Fill your own plate. If you can - look for a smaller plate and a smaller glass to keep your portions in check.
- Hide in the bathroom. When you need a break, find a bathroom FAR away from everyone else and read or do a puzzle on your phone. (you will thank me for this one later)
- Enjoy your food. Do not go on and on about how the food is going on your hips.
- Drink sparkling wine or champagne instead of beer or wine. Only 90 calories per glass and oh so festive.
- Only eat the homemade desserts. Store bought is not for you on Thanksgiving.
- If you have a cooking disaster toss it out before anyone notices and DO NOT CRY. Just kidding - you can cry! Remember, Thanksgiving is about family and friends – not the food.
- Freeze the leftovers immediately. Keeping all that food where you can see it in your fridge will lead to more overeating. I know all about turkey, cranberry, and stuffing sandwiches at 2 AM.
Please share your favorite Thanksgiving tips!
Other posts you might like:
I happen to love Thanksgiving because I love food (and having the day off).....