Top Ten Healthy Halloween Tips
October 25, 2010 10 Comments
Halloween is almost here and Snack Girl continues on her mission to convince you that a healthy Halloween is possible.
How can you do it? Here are 10 tips that I have compiled over the last few weeks to lead you into having both a fun AND healthy Halloween.
1. Don't Toss These Out! - try roasting your pumpkin seeds for a delicious healthy snack.
2. Try A Healthy Halloween Snack - make SCARY snacks with fruits and vegetables for some serious fun!
3. Get your house "toilet papered" with this suggestion: Healthy Halloween Candy. Also, try handing out oranges, apples, juice boxes, and boxes of raisins.
4. Don't give out candy at all! Hand out stickers, glow sticks, creepy spider rings, Play-Doh, or any type of small toy.
5. Try these suggestions for a "candy-lite" solution to the TOO much candy problem: Healthy Halloween Candy: Take Two
6. If your children are young, tell them about the CANDY FAIRY. My six year old bought the idea that she could put her candy out and a fairy would replace it with a toy. She is truly excited about giving away her candy - magic, no?
7. If your children are old enough to understand, try making a care package of candy for a soldier in Afghanistan. There are a bunch of different organizations that can help you find a way to cheer up a soldier. One example is Any Soldier.
8. Don't give out the "stick to your teeth" candy! The Skittles, Starburst, and Taffy of the world is extremely difficult to clean off teeth. The sugar will adhere to the tooth enamel and cause cavities easily. Choose one of the non-sticky options like chocolate, lollipops, or Smarties.
9. Remember to have fun! This tip is for parent's mental health! This event is just once a year and the indulgence is SO difficult to control. Let your kids enjoy themselves on Halloween and teach them portion control the rest of the year. Snack Girl's kids are gonna eat A LOT of candy and, frankly, I'm not going to stress out about it.
10. Don't set yourself on fire Actually, that's a tip for EVERY day (I couldn't think of 10 Healthy Halloween Tips :).
Please share this list with your friends or family that have children.
Got some more ideas I should have added? Please comment.
Want to read about snacks?
The Cheeseburger Experiment Revisited
Healthy Banana Pudding from Jack LaLanne
Can A New Drink Change Your Life?
How Ashley Lost 40 Pounds