Vegan Cupcakes Have Taken Over The World
May 23, 2011 43 Comments
Shhhh....don't tell ANYONE (except all of your friends). Chocolate cupcakes can be delicious without any.....
butter or eggs!
Seriously, these are moist, chocolately, and VEGAN. I know it is hard to believe, but these are some WAY yummy cupcakes (and I KNOW cupcakes).
If found this recipe in Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and a whole bunch of other recipes that don't use dairy or eggs to make cupcakes.
How does she replace them? In this recipe, she uses soy milk and canola oil and therefore there is almost zero saturated fat (not zero fat!) in the cupcakes. Now, this doesn't mean that you can eat them all day.
These cupcakes are still TREATS at 158 calories a cupcake, but people with dairy or egg allergies can eat them.
The recipe below was "idiot proof" and a bit easier than a regular cupcake recipe. When I tasted the batter, I couldn't taste the vegan difference. Honestly, these work (and without any egg substitute).
Now you may be wondering, "What about the frosting?" Well, I am super LAZY so I just put 1/2 fresh strawberry on the cupcake for decoration.
But, Isa has a bunch of different frosting recipes featuring margarine and powdered sugar (as well as other butter substitutes). I didn't try them because (as I said before) I am lazy.
The publisher is giving away a copy of the book to a lucky Snack Girl reader.
Please comment below on your ideas on how to make cupcakes healthier to enter.
Your Basic Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
Excerpted from the book Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero, published by Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2006. www.dacapopresscookbooks.com
(makes 12 cupcakes)
1 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract, chocolate extract, or more vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
2. Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Add the sugar, oil, and vanilla extract, and other extract, if using, to the soy milk mixture and beat till foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to the wet ingredients and beat till no large lumps remain (a few tiny lumps are okay).
3. Pour into liners, filling three-quarters of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to cooling rack and let cool completely.
158 calories, 6.8 g fat, 23.2 g carbohydrates, 2.3 g protein, 1.2 g fiber, 141 mg sodium, 4 Points+
Points values are calculated by Snack Girl and are provided for information only. See all Snack Girl Recipes
$17.99 $12.45 Buy on Amazon.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
$17.99 $11.34 Buy on Amazon.com
What will I win?
A copy of Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.
How do I enter?
Comment below on your ideas for healthier cupcakes.
Additional Ways To Enter:
- Follow Snack-Girl on FaceBook. Comment on the FB page on your healthier cupcakes.
- Follow Snack-Girl on Twitter and Tweet this post (use the Tweet Button in the Share Box at the top of this post).
Snack-Girl can follow and count all the additional entries using magical website tools.
Am I eligible to enter?
This giveaway is offered to US and Canadian residents only.
When do I find out if I am the winner?
The winner will be announced on May 30th, 2011. You will have 2 weeks to e-mail us back with your home address so we can mail the prize.