How To Cook Healthy When You Are Single
September 19, 2013 18 Comments
I happen to love it when people send me questions that I can attempt to answer.
Do I always know the answer? No, but I love a challenge.
This e-mail came from Malvin:
As a retired Military Officer, Widowed & Single, I like to get more information on: Foods for Widowed & Single advanced in age people like myself. I find it not so easy to go shopping and buy food(s) for a single person.
I can’t help but want to try and help him. As I try to put myself in his shoes, I am amazed at how hard it can be to buy a small amount of food. Have you seen a bag of chips at Costco?
But, Malvin doesn’t want to buy chips. He wants to be healthy or he wouldn’t be reading Snack Girl. Here are some ideas for the single shopper and home cook:
- Buy salmon from the frozen section. The fish is in pre-portioned sizes so you don’t have to thaw more than you need. Then, try this recipe: Healthy Fast Food For Nights You Don’t Have Time To Cook.
- Buy a salad spinner and pre-wash a head of lettuce. Store the lettuce in a plastic container and use it as you go - check out this post: The Easiest Way To Make Salad Part of Every Day
- Make some main dishes and freeze smaller portions. You have to be sure that these meals will freeze well. I ALWAYS have some chili in my freezer ready for a quick meal. Try making the pumpkin chili that I featured earlier this month.
- Buy some healthier frozen meals for nights when you can’t stand to cook. This post: The Best Packaged Frozen Meals For Dieters has a great discussion on the healthiest brands and meals in the frozen section. I learned a lot when I read the comments. Give a few a try.
- Make meals with snacks. Many of my readers put together a few of my super easy snacks for dinner. I know it sounds crazy but they write and tell me this is what they eat. Roast some cauliflower, make a english muffin pizza and you have dinner.
Do you have any suggestions for Malvin? Please share. I am sure we could help each other with this challenge.
Here is another resource: WebMD Single Person Food Tips
Other posts you might like:
Like this guy, I spend a lot of time looking at packages in the supermarket....
Snack Girl has an aversion to shopping. I hate the indecision, time, and money involved....